1. None but the well-bred man knows how to confess a fault, or acknowledge himself in an error. 唯有有教养者方知如何承认错误，或意识到自己行为。
2. If you do what you should not, you must hear what you would not. 若做了不应做之事，则必然会听见不愿听之语。
3. An honest man will receive neither money nor praise; that is not his due. 正直的人既不收受他人的钱财，也不接受他人的奉承，这些都不是他应得的。
4. The honest man takes pains, and then enjoys pleasure. 正直的人先经历痛苦，然后享受欢乐。
5. Virtue and happiness are mother and daughter. 美德和幸福犹如母女。
6. A bad workman always blames his tools. 拙匠总怪工具差。
7.Sloth turneth the edge of wit.懒散能磨去才智的锋芒。
8.A bad beginning makes a bad ending.不善始者不善终。
9.Knowledge is a comfortable and necessary retreat and shelter for us in an advanced age; and if we do not plant it when young, it will give us no shade when we grow old.
10.Life is a pure flame, and we live by an invisible sun within us.